Losing weight vs water weight?

How do you tell if you’re losing weight vs water weight?

Recently I decided to get really serious about my health. I’ve been fat since grade school and to be honest I’m sick of having to pay more for clothes I don’t even like, being a whale that no one wants to sit next to on the bus, not having the energy to do stuff, etc. As part of that I went and got my mom’s old FitBit, downloaded My Fitness Pal, and tossed out all the super high calorie no nutrition foods in my pantry.

I decided that I was going to go with baby steps and try to only lose a pound a week (1870 calories according to MFP), only weigh myself once a week, and not worry about hitting 10k steps. I’d just try to improve the amount I walked. I’ve always failed at diets in the past and part of the reason is that I’ve always been too hard on myself goal wise, never got close to meeting my goals, and then gave up. So I went with easily achievable goals that I could increase as I did better instead of trying to do everything at once.

Last Sunday I weighed myself and came in at 276.6 lbs. Today I weighed myself again and came in at 268.4lbs. That’s over 8 pounds in a week! I’m baffled how I could have lost that much if it’s not mostly water weight.

I have been hitting my calorie goal every day but stayed 50-100 calories under. Nothing drastic. And I’ve never once hit my 10k step goal. Yesterday I came close as I walked to the grocery store instead of taking the bus, but I still didn’t make it. I also made sure that I was wearing the same PJs as last week and weighed myself at approximately the same time.

So assuming that I mostly lost some water weight (only explanation that makes sense to me) how do I tell when I start to actually lose pounds of fat? Do I just keep doing what I’m doing and disregard the weight numbers? Or is there some way to measure it? I just know I can’t expect to lose 8 lbs every week and stay healthy so I was hoping for some guidance on what to actually expect.

submitted by /u/GhostwritingNarwhal
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/b7pcs1/losing_weight_vs_water_weight/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian lost 80 pounds

Thank you guys. Thanks to you, im down 40lb and I have opened my eyes to new foods.

I’ve been “trying” to lose weight since June. I am OFFICIALLY starting tomorrow.